Let’s face it. Life is full of big decisions and tough choices. Everyday people start new jobs, quit old ones, get married, get divorced, have children, relocate, tell secrets, end relationships and start new ones.
Sometimes the decisions happen so fast there isn’t even time to evaluate if it was the “right” thing to do. On the flip side, sometimes you’re faced with a decision that seems HUGE—monumental even—and you spend day in and day out mulling over all the possible scenarios and outcomes attempting to figure out what to do.
Do you listen to your heart or your head? Do you follow your intuition? Do you do what makes the most sense? Do you do nothing at all because that’s easier? Is there a formula for all of this? Where’s the guidebook for life’s tough stuff anyway?
The decisions you make can indeed be game changers, so it’s helpful to have a bit of a handle on how to navigate them when life throws one your way. Here are a few questions to ask yourself when it’s decision time:
- WHO DECIDES? As usual, we’re going straight to the heart of it all at lightning speed. When it comes down to it, as long as you buy into the illusion that there is a “you” that exists to “decide” anything, you’ve missed the point. The truth is, there is only the will of the Divine unfolding in your life. There is a subtle choice to allow yourself to be the expression of the Divine unfolding. When you choose to be in this flow, you are simply agreeing to be the expression of the Divine rather than resisting it. The key thing to remember is that this is really the only decision that you actually have to make. You decide to say yes to God’s plan for you (which takes faith since you don’t get to see the entire picture at the time of the decision) and the rest is grace.
The deeper you allow yourself to let go and trust, the clearer things become.
- AM I WILLING TO LET GO? The only real choice you make is to surrender to the flow. The deeper you allow yourself to let go and trust, the clearer things become. Eventually things become so clear that the decision and the decider disappear and what remains is simply what is happening. You just show up and continue to say “yes” to life’s sacred design as it unfolds in your life. This takes a tremendous amount of faith, trusting that everything God does is for your personal best—even if you don’t see it that way in the moment.
- DO I FEEL CLOSER TO GOD? As you evaluate the possible outcomes of your decision, a simple question I often ask myself is “will this outcome bring me closer to God?” You are never separate from God. However, you can temporarily feel more or less connected to the Divine through the experiences you choose. When you choose experiences that bring you a deeper sense of peace, love, joy, and connection, then there is no “wrong” decision. On the other hand, if the choice you make brings an outcome of feeling disconnected, out of integrity, or unhappy, then you have been given the gift of seeing first-hand how your decisions can affect your relationship with God and with your world. If you discover you made a decision that has you feeling disconnected or unhappy, then make a change!
Now do you want in on my not-so-dirty little secret on decision-making? Meditate. You have all the answers you desire within. If you are truly faced with a decision that doesn’t have a clear direction, then meditate until it becomes clear. Decisions are as clear and easy as you allow them to be. If you truly seek an answer, then ask for it, meditate, and listen. The answer has always been there.
- Decisions are as clear and easy as you allow them to be.
- The only real choice you make is to surrender to the flow.
- Ask yourself, “will this outcome bring me closer to God?”
- If you truly seek an answer, then ask for it, meditate, and listen.
- The answer has always been there.